I was hit from behind yesterday afternoon. My wife and I seem to have pain in our neck and back. Is it worth persuing legally?

Asked over 5 years ago - Atlanta, GA

My wife and I where siting at a red light, when we where struck from behind. The guy who hit us instantly said it was his fault. Police came, report filed. Our SUV was drivable, the other's pickup had to be towed away.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Steven I. Goldman

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Mr. Forehand is correct. If you are in need of medical treatment, you should have your case reviewed by an attorney as soon as possible. Make sure you do not give any written or recorded statements to any insurance company before you have consulted with an attorney.

    Steven I. Goldman
    The Equitable Building - Suite 2020
    100 Peachtree Street, N.W.
    Atlanta, GA 30303
    (404) 577-9555
    (404) 577-9556 (fax)

  2. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . While the answer depends on the future seriousness of the injury, you should see a lawyer right away. I'd be glad to review your case at no charge. You may have claims for both medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage.

    In the meantime, do not talk to insurers or the other party.

    As soon as you can get a copy of the police report.

    Do get all medical care you feel you need.

  3. Christopher Matthew Simon


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . For right now, do not focus on the legal aspect. Just get better. Go to your family doctor as soon as possible and listen to your own body to decide if other medical care is needed. You do not need to hire a lawyer immediately and you may never need one. Do not give a recorded statement or sign a medical records release for the other driver's insurance company. Do check to see if you have medical payments insurance on your own policy. Read my article on Georgia car accident do's and don'ts on my website for more information.

    The bottom line is let the medicine come first and don't get a lawyer involved in directing your medical care unless there are serious issues and you have no health insurance.

  4. Jon Vincent Forehand

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You should seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Check your auto policy to see if you have medical payments coverage which would reimburse your medical expenses. Many times low impact collisions can cause serious injuries which do not manifest themselves immediately. Get a copy of the accident report. Call an attorney who handles personal injury cases.

  5. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . As I am licensed in Florida and Vermont, I cannot comment specifically on Georgia law. However, generally, it is advisable that you seek immediate medical examination and report your pains and problems to a physician. Often times when you have sustained a collision as you describe, pains can become worse over the ensuing hours and days following the impact. After you have sought medical examination, you should contact a personal injury attorney in your area and review your situation with him or her. In the interim, you should not give any statement to the adverse driver's insurance company. You may also wish to review some of the Legal Guides I have published on A V V O.com which deal with many of the issues you are now experiencing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,388 answers this week

3,227 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,388 answers this week

3,227 attorneys answering