I was hit by a tourist bus. I was on a bike and it was totally the driver's fault. I have surgery and cannot work yet.

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I was hit when the bus turned and did not see me. It was their fault. The insurance called and they are saying that they will pay my medical and want me to sign some authorizations. I want to know if they can pay for my time I am losing form work. I am going to need also rehab. Will they pay for this too? I don't have insurance and now can't work. Do I need a lawyer?

1. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

12

Answered . The question of whether you need an attorney is answered emphatically as a "yes, yes, for god sakes yes" or something similar.

You have a serious and possibly permanent injury and the bus company screwed up and caused this. There have been several high profile bus cases recently and I would humbly suggest that going it solo will not only not get you compensated fairly but will cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars on deserved compensation.

Hire a lawyer ASAP. Many of us would be happy to talk to you free of charge and almost all injury lawyers only earn fees on cases that settle or win at trial.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

2. Burton A. Padove

Pro

11

Answered . You are lucky to be alive. Bicyclists always lose in a collision with another vehicle, but especially with buses and trucks. There are special rules regarding commercial drivers and you really should contact a lawyer with knowledge and experience with commercial driving accidents involving truckers and bus drivers.

You have serious injuries and have a right to be compensated for past medical bills, medical bills reasonably certain in the future, lost wages (past and reasonably certain to occur in the future) disability and pain and suffering.

These are difficult and complex cases and you really should not even be discussing the case with an insurance adjustor, whose training was designed for the purpose of educating him lor herto save his company money, not compensate you fully.

All injury victim lawyers provide free consultations and take cases on a no fee no recovery basis. So
    you should contact one immediately

3. Joseph Andrew Brabender IV

Pro

9

Answered . Yes, if you were injured you certainly need a lawyer. The insurance company is trying to settle with you for as little as possible before you hire an attorney.

You are entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost time at work, pain and suffering and any future disability you may have.

Do not give any statements to the insurance company.

A good injury lawyer will not only help you recover money, they will resolve any medical liens and subrogation claims that are asserted against you.

All injury firms, including mine, offer free initial consultations and are paid on contingency fee (we take a percentage of what you recover). You will likely get many responses to your question here, talk to some attorneys, find one you are comfortable with and let them handle your claim for you.

4. Louis Joseph Meyer

Pro

8

Answered . Do not sign anything without having a lawyer review first. You are entitled to recovery for lost wages, medical expenses, future medical expenses, pain and suffering, loss of normal life, etc. This is not a small little case you can handle without an attorney. I suggest you reach out and find an attorney you feel comfortable with.

Louis J. Meyer
    Meyer & Kiss, LLC
    Offices in Chicago, Peoria & Rockford
    312.765.0100, 312.219.0963, 300.713.3751

5. Joseph Younes

7

Answered . Yes you are entitled to all the itemsw you mentioned plus pain and suffering and loss of normal life. A good lawyer will be able to insure you receive all the compensation to which you are entitled.

J. Younes
    312-802-1122

6. Chen Kasher

7

Answered . I agree with the rest of my colleagues and just wanted to add a few thoughts:

(1) You want to retain an attorney ASAP in order to preserve evidence and build a record. Were there witnesses present? Did anyone give a statement? Your word is not sufficient that it was the bus driver's fault. The insurer may find some excuse to pin the blame on you -- i.e., you were improperly riding in an area not marked for bicyclists.

(2) The insurer will probably not pay for ALL of your injuries unless you retain an attorney. While they may pay your CURRENT medical bills, a good personal injury will get them to pay for your current, past, and future medical expenses and pain and suffering.

chenkasher@gmail.com
    (773) 853-3062
    chenkasherlaw.vpweb.com

7. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

6

Answered . YES. You need an attorney to protect your interests. You are entitled to be compensated for ALL of your medical care, all of your lost wages, and most importantly, your pain and suffering. Do NOT sign anything without discussing your matter with a personal injury attorney. There is no up-front fee and most of us are willing to come to you if you cannot travel.

Candiano Law Office

Charles J. Candiano
    53 West Jackson Blvd.
    Suite 1337
    Chicago, IL 60604
    (888) 373-9964 toll-free
    (312) 465-2914 telephone
    (312) 624--8184 fax

website: www.CandianoLaw.com
    email: CJCandiano@CandianoLaw.com

8. Betty Tsamis

6

Answered . Absolutely speak to a lawyer. Of course the insurance company is trying to appear cooperative and get you to settle without a lawyer representing you. As someone who used to be an insurance company defense lawyer representing bus companies, I can tell you that adjusters are highly trained to earn your trust and to settle your case for as small a dollar sum as possible. Once you settle and sign a release, you will not be able to go back and reopen your case even if you discover additional medical problems from the accident.

A my colleagues have pointed out, personal injury attorneys will provide an evaluation of your situation at no cost to you.

Betty Tsamis
    Tsamis Law Firm
    www.tsamislaw.com
    312-909-1219

9. Michael Jacob Goldsmith

6

Answered . You do need a lawyer. You need someone advocating on your behalf with only your best interests in mind. Do not sign anything until you have consulted an experience personal injury attorney. Your attorney will negotiate or litigate on your behalf in order to obtain a settlement or judgment which incorporates all of your potential losses and damages as a result of your accident.

10. Steven Adam Sigmond

5

Answered . DO NOT talk to the insurance adjuster or sign anything that he sends you. Get an experienced personal injury lawyer immediately. First, they are going to end up paying for a lot more than your medical bills if your case is handled correctly and they know it. They are already starting the process of trying to lowball you. And, if they are going to pay your bills, do you want to authorize them to contact your doctors directly while you are still seeing the doctors so that they can offer their own opinions about what treatment you need. YES, YOU NEED A LAWYER.

My ChicagoAccidentLawyer Website has a page devoted to bicycle accidents, have a look. (see link below). Have a look, then get a free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer.

Steven A. Sigmond
    Law Office of Steven A. Sigmond
    345 N. Canal #1208
    Chicago, IL 60606
    (312) 756-1186
    Steve@Siglaw.com

11. Christopher Michael Davis

Pro

6

Answered . Most insurance companies know that you are a little dazed and confused right after your traffic accident. They would like to take advantage of this and have you sign your rights away. Don't do it! Don't sign anything until your vehicle is repaired and all of your injuries are healed and you are feeling 100%.

12. Daniel G. Galivan

4

Answered . Without question, you should at least consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer. You are entiteld to be compensated for much more than past medical and lost wages. Consultations are without obligation and free of charge; there is no fee if there is no recovery. I would suggest you meet with at least two lawyers before retaining one. www.galivanlaw.net

13. Mario C. Palermo

3

Answered . You should at least consult with an attorney. Depending on the bus company, there may be special notice requirements. If applicable, your failure to meet these special notice requirements can doom your case. You are entitled to receive compensation for the reasonable cost of medical treatment necessary to treat your injuries. This should include physical therapy and rehab that is prescribed for you. Feel free to contact me with any additional questions.

14. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

3

Answered . Yes you need a lawyer.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Pro

3

Answered . Yes, retain a personal injury lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you don't get hurt twice.

16. Albert John Salvi

1

Answered . You have a serious injury caused by the fault of another, and that person was driving for a company which certainly has plenty of insurance. Based on this information, you have a serious case and you are well advised to hire an attorney.

17. Andrew A. Iacobelli

2

Answered . Yes, you should absolutely hire an experienced personal injury lawyer in your home State. Many personal injury lawyers will provide a free consultation. Do not delay. Good luck to you.