I was hit by a drunk driver in my boyfriends car, I don't have medical insurance. Who pays for my medical bills?

Asked over 1 year ago - Anaheim, CA

My boyfriend and I were hit by drunk driver, we were stopped at red light. She was convicted for DUI. My boyfriend has been going through his medical insurance and getting treatment. I initially went to urgent care following day because I told the police I had neck pain right away. I do not have medical insurance any longer and pain is getting worse and it's been six months. Who has to pay for for my medical bills?

1. Richard Franklin Taub

Pro

16

Answered . You should direct your question to personal injury counsel: not criminal defense counsel. Our firm also handles personal injury matters. www.taublawyers.com

2. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

16

Answered . Need to speak to a personal injury attorney. A personal injury attorneys usually are retained through contingency meaning you don't pay them anything unless there's a recovery. Now six months into it, oh boy, you may have trouble, but start calling today.

3. Elliot Rahmim Zarabi

Pro

15

Answered . You can hire a free attorney, who will only recover money if they recover money for you. You have that option or you can just get in through the court. However, hiring a personal injury attorney is a great idea in a case like this.

Elliot Zarabi
    www.FreeCriminalConsultation.com
    213-612-7720

4. James Michael Bergener

Pro

15

Answered . I'm sorry to hear that you've been in so much pain, but there are steps you may be able to take to get your medical bills paid for and just compensation for your pain and suffering if you act now.

1. Personal Injury attorneys work off a contingency fee. This means that you won't pay anything up-front, and they will only a charge you a fee later on if they win you money for your case.
    2. The medical bills can be paid by several different entities depending on the circumstances, but most likely either by the negligent party's insurance provider (the drunk driver that hit you) or your insurance provider (if you have uninsured motorist coverage).

Our firm has handled cases with very similar circumstances. We are experienced in dealing with auto-accidents involving drunk drivers, and will do everything possible to get you the maximum settlement. Call me personally today if you have any further questions at 1-800-881-2021.

You need to act quickly. There are strict time contraints for when claims are allowed to be filed. I wish you all the best.

5. Albert Lee Crosner

13

Answered . First of all, I am truly sorry about your injuries. I concur with my fellow colleagues. You are in a real predicament at the moment. I would strongly advise that you contact a personal injury attorney such as myself to help you through the process. A question in my mind is whether or not your boyfriend had automobile insurance coverage or whether the party convicted for the DUI had insurance coverage. I would be happy to talk to you and provide you with a free consultation.

6. Edgar J. Reynoso

Pro

12

Answered . To answer your question in detail requires addition information. However, generally the negligent driver is responsible. Contact an attorney as soon as possible as to avoid any statute of limitations issue.

7. Michael R Crosner

11

Answered . If other driver had auto liability insurance that is first area of recovery; if there is coverage & it is exhausted, then if you have underinsured motorist coverage that would be available if you limits are larger than other driver's policy limits. Or if other driver and/or registered owner of other vehicle has no liability coverage then your uninsured motorist coverage. Also, perhaps you carry auto medical payments coverage. Also there is court restitution & perhaps victims fund available. Also if other drive was in course of employment for another etc etc - the list goes on and on. This is why you need to contact a California personal injury attorney, such as myself to assist you. There is no fee unless there is a recovery - and consultation is free of charge. You deserve to be compensated for your medical bills (past & future) & for your pain & suffering & disability.

8. Eric Burton Strongin

Pro

11

Answered . You should first look to the auto insurance for the drunk driver. This assumes of course that the drunk driver was insured and this was not a hit and run. If the drunk driver did not have insurance, you should look to the auto insurance policy covering your boyfriend's vehicle. If you were covered under your own auto policy, even though you were in your boyfriend's car, you may be covered under that policy as well.

9. Frank Mascagni III

12

Answered . You need to hire a personal injury plaintiff attorney to review your case and potentially file a civil lawsuit against the DUI negligent driver for your damages. Contact an attorney ASAP. Time is not your friend, act now.

10. Steven Mark Sweat

10

Answered . You should retain an attorney who could assist you in getting medical treatment on a lien basis (i.e. the doctor agrees to forego payment until the case settles).

11. Paul J Molinaro

Pro

6

Answered . Anyone who is physically injured in a motor vehicle accident should first get medical attention and second hire a personal injury lawyer... that means drivers, passengers, pedestrians, etc. (There could be someone in that etc. category... maybe a bystander who was sitting at a picnic table at In ‘N Out, comfortably enjoying a double-double, animal style of course, with a side of fries and sucking on a chocolate shake, when a car jumps the curb... but I digress). An experienced personal injury should be able to help his or her client prove (in court, which is the place with the final say) who is at fault. An experienced personal injury attorney should be able to understand all of the physical/medical conditions that his or her client suffers and be able to explain these conditions in easy to understand language to a jury. An experienced personal injury attorney should be able to maximize the amount of money his or her client will receive.

The best part about hiring a personal injury attorney is that we offer free consultations and should we accept a case (and the client accepts us) we work on contingency. Thus, there is absolutely nothing to fear in calling us.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
    Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
    Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
    980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
    Corona, CA 92879
    (951)520-9684
    www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

12. Robert Andrew Michael Burns

6

Answered . You should ask the prosecutor of the offending motorist to obtain court-ordered "restitution" of your "economic losses" as a victim of the crime. You should have a personal injury attorney evaluate your case for obtaining damages (esp., for "non-economic losses" such as pain, suffering, disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life).

13. Edgar Julio Gutierrez

5

Answered . You need to hire an experienced PI attorney. This is not for a criminal attorney. A PI attorney should be able to get you medical treatment on a lien if you do not have medical insurance or other method to pay. The treating provider's bill will be paid from the settlement funds after your case is resolved. Additionally, it is not clear if the drunk driver was ordered to pay resitution. If not, you may be able to ask the criminal court to set a restitution hearing and order the defendant to pay restitution. I have handled numerous drunk driving car accidents and know exactly how you are feeling. You are welcome to call my office to discuss this further if you desire. 888-447-8282.

14. Michael Shemtoub

4

Answered . First, let me express my sincere regret that you are having to endure this difficult situation You should have an attorney experienced in this type of claim review your documentation, if any – such as police report and medical records – and discuss what options you may have. I have personally dealt with many other California claims such as this one. You should understand that having proper representation can protect your cause of action and your right to compensation for damages suffered as a result of this unfortunate accident. Best of luck to you.

15. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

5

Answered . You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  16. David Thomas Dorer

5

Answered . You likely have a claim either against your boyfriend or the drunk driver. You at your medical bills and then recoup those costs from the insurer for either at fault party. Or, you could get a lawyer that practices personal injury to execute medical liens on your behalf so you can get the treatment you need now and pay for the bills with your ultimate recovery.