I was hit by a drunk driver, the insurance company offered me 13,000 for medical expenses and 5,000 for pain and suffering ?

Should I ask for more?

You do not provide any facts regarding your injuries, medical bills, or any other losses. Speak to a lawyer right away. Consultations are typically free. Best of luck!

Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.

Never take the first offer! Thats my rule. Also be careful about accepting a lump sum for medical expenses when you very well may have continuing medical treatment, especially for back pain. I am pretty sure that if you get one of us attorneys involved, we can get you more. Best of luck.

Free consultation. Direct line- 855-637-0938 .24/7. Video/Phone/In-Person. aalok.sikand@gmail.com. I provide my clients with honest, thoughtful advice and diligent, vigorous representation in a number of practice areas. I serve Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, Santa Barbara and San Diego Counties. I wouldn't take any of my answers on avvo.com as legal advice since there are still too many factors that need to be discussed before I can give you a reliable opinion.

You should talk with your attorney for guidance on wat to do. Good luck.

Without a lawyer, you would likely only get a tiny fraction of the true worth of the case.

Dont be penny wise and pound foolish. Get a good lawyer. cases against drunk drivers have extra value given the bad conduct of the deft. As much as juries may be skeptical of soft tissue injuries, they really dont like drunk drivers.

With all of the good experienced injury attorneys in your area why are you tripping over your own feet attempting to "do-it-yourself?" The insurance industry's own statistics - not mine or those of any attorney - confirm that those who are represented by attorneys achieve settlements double or more than unrepresented claimants. 10 more reaons to retain an attorney: BLUE LINK BELOW

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

If you do not have a local area (LA area) personal injury helping you with this matter, immediately get one. Unfortunately you have not provided any facts that would help a local attorney like myself to provide you with a concise answer to your question. Personal injury attorneys normally provide a free consultation. Contact one from the list of attorneys who have answered your question and give us a call. You can speak to us freely and then we can help you. Sorry to hear you are going through this expeience. I know it is not pleasant. Best of luck.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

I live and work in Los Angeles and deal with accidents like yours, so I am happy to answer your question. The answer to your question is that based on the limited facts it does not sound like a good settlement. I've written e-books on this topic and typically drunk driving accidents are more horrific because they include high speeds and bigger/more painful injuries. Moreover, the insurance company will probably want to purposefully take a recorded statement from you in order to pin down your statement and weaken your case, hopefully you didn't do this. You should definitely not talk to them until you have hired an attorney. Do you feel that you are at the same medical condition that you were before the accident? As a basic premise I wouldn't handle your claim by yourself. The attorney you hire can likely refer you to a doctor, if you ask for one, who will see you with no upfront payment! I've done this many times to help my clients out. You should not wait a single day to hire a lawyer, we will advise you on the strategy of your case and get you a rental if you need one.

You have some great facts, but your case definitely needs to be developed further to corroborate your story. You should hire an attorney so you're not bullied around! There is no upfront cost to hire an attorney. With a case like yours it seems like you have some good facts in order to get a high settlement. The most important thing when building your case are: liability (were you at fault); how bad are your injuries to your body ; and of course how high is the at fault person's policy. A lot of these things sound like they are not complete yet in your case so its something that is worth hiring an attorney for in order to get a sense of whether you have a case and what the strategy would be for you to build a strong case! I've handled many of these cases in the Los Angeles area.

Direct Line to Attorney: 877-427-2752 or Email: Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com; Website: www.KingofPi.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Without any facts there is no good answer to this question.

It would seem to me that your best option is to hire an experienced car accident attorney to represent you and give you the peace of mind that you deserve after a car accident. To answer your question more directly, without more information, I don't know if you should ask for more. Typically insurance companies don't give people without attorneys the amount the claim is worth. I have over 20 years of experience representing clients and I have seen many tricks that insurance carriers try and pull on people that do not know the laws inside and out. I wish you the best of luck and I hope that I can be of service.

Remember just one thing above all, the job of the claims department is to pay you AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE!!!!! The first adjuster I ever met told me his name was Mr. Poor, like in no money. My office, Binder & Associates has 40 years of experiance in this specific area. Drunk driving cases are special because the carrier never wants that defendant to be in front of a jury. Given that they have offered $18,000 it sounds like the policy exceeds them usual 15/30 that most drivers have. Call me for more info.

Yes. You should really retain an attorney for this one. There are a lot of different angles you can take on a DUI defendant to enhance your recovery.

Insurance has a very basic business strategy... collect as much in premiums as people will pay and pay out as little as possible on claims. If someone has tens of thousands in medical bills for care that is really needed and medically appropriate, his or her pain and suffering should be worth at least as much (prolly more, maybe not, but prolly so). As for past medical expenses, one does not have to be a rocket scientist to figure out teh amount... just add up the bills... but as for future medical costs... that's a whole nuther situation... an experienced personal injury attorney... one who understands injuries and what one who suffers injuries can expect with regard to what care is expected in the future will be able to properly assess the value of the case... plsu he or she will consider lost wages (past and future) as well as all the other details that are not so obvious. Any person can "win" ten grand from an insurance carrier... just settle a hundred grand case for ten grand... people without lawyers do it all day long.

Injured in a car wreck? Just worry about getting medical care and let the lawyer do the rest.

The best part about hiring a personal injury attorney is that we offer free consultations and should we accept a case (and the client accepts us) we work on contingency. Thus, there is absolutely nothing to fear in calling us.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
4160 Temescal Canyon Road, Suite 306
Corona, CA 92883
(951)520-9684
www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law and does so anywhere in the State of California.

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. ... Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker... Fransen & Molinaro, LLP... 980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206... Corona, CA 92879... (951)520-9684... www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com... "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW." ... * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy... ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

It seems to me that a $5000.00 offer for pain and suffering based on reasonable medical bills of $13000.00 is low! especially in light of the fact that you have a DUI offender!