Skip to main content

I was hit by a driver that was not the owner of the vehicle and had no drivers license and the owner only had

Chicago, IL |

non-owners insurance. I only have liability insurance on my vehicle. Not only is my vehicle in need of repair but I was also injured. How can I go about collecting to get my vehicle repaired and my medical expenses covered?

Attorney Answers 11

  1. Meet with a local personal injury attorney. Most attorneys will offer a free consultation over the phone or in person.

    This answer does not constitute legal advice and no attorney client relationship has been formed. Before choosing a course of action, it is always advisable to seek the advice of an attorney in your area.

  2. As long as there is insurance, you are ok. You need to consult a personal injury attorney as soon as possible to coordinate your care and optimize your claim. Good luck.

    Find an experienced Personal Injury attorney here on AVVO through the "Find a Lawyer" tab above. Attorneys on AVVO want to help you but are NOT permitted to solicit your business. YOU must contact them.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate by providing feedback that the answer was either "helpful" or "best answer" as appropriate. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.

  3. You are okay, because insurance usually covers anyone driving the car at the time. Retain a personal injury attorney to help you navigate the difficult world of dealing with insurance adjusters and getting the maximum compensation for your claim.

    This answer is intended as informational only, and does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship between us.

  4. There are several ways that you can likely recover. Like the others who posted, I think you will need an attorney to assist you. Generally - you should be able to make a claim against the other driver and have it be covered. If for some reason they have no coverage you should still have uninsured motorist coverage on your own vehicle that would cover the loss. There are several other coverages that may apply to help you with medical bills etc. Happy to explain if you have further questions.

  5. You should be okay. Contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as you can.

    With the exception of the possibility that a really bad insurance company may try to deny coverage on the basis that the owner of the car wasn't a valid insured since he was not licensed (and these types of clauses often can be overcome in court), you should be able to assert a claim for both personal injury and property damage against the other vehicle owner's carrier.

    This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

  6. If there is insurance coverage, your loss will be covered. Speak with a local personal injury lawyer who can help you in the process.

  7. I agree with the other attorneys - get to a good qualified local attorney who knows Illinois law and learn your rights.

    Every situation is different, and good legal advice cannot be given based on a short question without an exploration of all the facts that may bear on your situation. This is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been established.

  8. You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  9. Typically, insurance runs with the vehicle so your loss should be covered through the owner of the vehicle. However, it is possible the insurance company may deny coverage due to the driver not being licensed. Either way, it will certainly be to your benefit to contact an attorney immediately.

    These comments are merely opinions, not legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. Therefore, if you have additional questions, I highly recommend you contact an attorney in your state with knowledge of the applicable state laws. I am licensed to practice in Missouri and Illinois and my firm represents personal injury victims.

  10. If you were injured, you should retain a Chicago personal injury lawyer to resolve everything

  11. The answers depend upon many other facts. A permissive driver is generally covered, but a specifically excluded driver will not be covered. If there is no coverage, and if you have automobile coverage yourself, then you may qualify to make an uninsured motorist claim against your own insurance carrier in order to cover your medical bills and personal injury. Even "liability only" coverage should include uninsured motorist coverage.

    This is potentially a tricky set of facts. Your next step should be to get a private, comprehensive, free consultation form an experienced local attorney.

    Steven A. Sigmond
    Chicago, IL

    Call (312) 756-1186 for a FREE CONSULTATION with Steven A. Sigmond, confidential and available to anyone who has been injured in an accident or hurt at work. However, a free consultation is not legal advice, nor is the answer to the question listed above or anything posted on this website. This answer is general information. Proper legal advice can only be obtained after hiring an attorney and providing full information regarding your case.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics