Skip to main content

I was hit by a car that was rent to own, will the rent to own company have insurance?

Oshkosh, WI |

The other driver was at fault, he ran a red light and there are two witnesses on the police report claiming it was his fault. My car is totaled and I only have liability so my insurance won't cover damage. The other driver and the owner of the car claim to have no insurance. The other driver has a history of small claims and is unemployed. Would you recommend to get a lawyer?

I sustained minor injuries, neck and back pain. The passenger who is my girlfriend, sustained neck and back pain, a bump on her head and bruising on her leg. The car was hit on the passenger side, the other driver was driving approximately 25-30 miles per hour. Also, the other car had temporary license plates on it and the owner said he just got it. My insurance company told me it is a rent to own vehicle.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


It would be wise to call and ask for a few pointers. Were you injured? Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


I would recommend consulting a lawyer to make sure that you have a full understanding of all the coverage that is involved here, especially if your were injured. the consultation with the lawyer should be free so you have nothing to lose.


I am sorry to hear this happened to you and your girlfriend. Yes, you need a personal injury attorney to assist you to navigate this case. It is good that you have a police report.

Find an attorney who has experience in personal injury/auto accident cases who will work with you on a contingency basis.

I wish you the best.

For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security disability or nursing home abuse, please contact Lowenthal & Abrams, PC at 1-800-876-5299. I am licensed in Pennsylvania, but members of my firm are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.


I would consult with a qualified personal injury attorney. Go to the "find a lawyer" tab and look for an attorney in your community.


A lawyer can help you evaluate potential avenues of recovery.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You should consult a personal injury lawyer. If you have uninsured motorist coverage through your own carrier, a personal injury attorney can help you attempt to get fair compensation for your injuries and damages. A lawyer can also be helpful in looking for other applicable coverage, and assisting you in responding to and/or initiating safety/responsibility proceedings against the other driver and/or owner. However, absent coverage of some kind, both you and any lawyer working for you will need to be careful about throwing good money after bad in the pursuit of an uncollectible defendant or defendants. Good luck.

This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the specifics of the case.


Yes, feel free to use Avvo's "find a lawyer" tool.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer