Skip to main content

I was hired to do a wedding at a member onsite property with their own chapel. the steps broke and I broke ankle .what to sue?

Rome, NY |

The concrete brick steps broke apart and I broke my ankle, they refuse contact with us but we got the report showing its their fault.

I own my own photography business but could not do the shoot because I broke my ankle.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


Talk to a personal injury attorney to understand whether or not you have a viable claim under the premises liability laws in your state.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.



I am In Rome NY


You need to hire a lawyer right away to ascertain whether you have a claim. [removed] You will need to prove notice (actual or constructive) of the defect, or some other identifiable negligent act.

PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER * I very much like to offer my advice and guidance to those in need. It is why I became a lawyer. However, please note that I have not been engaged to be your lawyer so my advice is general in nature. Certainly, if you would like, please feel free to email or call me to further discuss the particulars of your situation (as many times it is not a good idea to provide a lot of information about your case on a public forum). * Hacker Murphy, LLP * 518.213.0115 * * * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State (including New York City and Long Island). *


The answer will vary based on who owned the property and who was responsible for stairs. For example, were they temporary stairs brought in for the event? If so then the company who owned would have liability. It is important that you consult with an attorney as soon as possible to help you identify the potentially responsible parties and evaluate your claim. Our office provides free consultations as most personal injury attorneys in the area.


Impossible to know for sure without discussing the matter further nd performing some investigation - but some likely liable parties could be: The owner of the property where you fell, the company contracted to maintain that property, the company/party that constructed the step in the first place and/or perhaps the company who was responsible for organizing the wedding/party space.

To be successful you much show not only that there was a defective condition but that the owner/maintainer/person responsible for the area was aware/shoud have been aware of its existence yet did nothing to make the area safer.

Given the significant injuries you describe, you should contact an attorney at once to discuss the matter. Good luck!

The aforementioned opinion does not constitute legal advice and is for general educational purposes only. See an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for competent legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through the within legal question and answer session.


Then have a local Rome personal injury lawyer pursue a claim.


It's a great case.


You may have a valid claim against one or several entities. Your best bet is to seek an experienced personal injury attorney to investigate ASAP. Many attorneys, such as myself, offer free 30 minute consultations. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


Sue the owner of the premises, a tenant if one exists and the maintenance company if there is one.

The information provided herein is for informational purposes and should not be construed to establish an attorney client relationship. To establish such a relationship, the prospective client would need to meet with me in person, and have a detailed discussion about all the facts and circumstances surrounding your case.


SOunds like you have a claim. Would want to know why the stairs broke. You should hire a lawyer so that an appropriate evaluation can be done by an engineer as soon as possible.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer