I was hired by a company at a rate of $77,000/year salaried employee. I left after 2 weeks and received only minimum wage pay.

Asked 8 months ago - Tampa, FL

Are they allowed to only pay me minimum wage even though I have a signed offer letter stating my salary? I was given no notice of a salary change and and I gave no notice when I quit.

1. Barbara Billiot Stage

Pro

1

1

Answered . You would need an attorney to review the offer letter to determine if it can be considered a legal contract. Without a contract an employer can change your rate of pay without notice as long as you are paid at least minimum wage.

2. Joseph Charles Shoemaker

Answered . I agree with my colleague. The actions of the employer probably do not violate any law, but you may very well have a possible breach of contract claim. Good luck.

3. Stuart N. Kaplan

Answered . The first question I would have was there an employment contract in place outlining the conditions of your employment. If so one must look to this agreement as what can and can't be done. Absent an employment agreement I would need to know if you were employed in an at will state? Seeking the advice of a qualified attorney would be very helpful to you.