I was hired at $12.00 an hour with$1.00 overnight pay differential 3 yrs ago. 2 months into working for this faith based non

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

Profit org. My check was reduced to $11.00 hr with $1.00 overnight. Now a recent coworker sued for wages not paid for overnight lunch & rest breaks. Do i have a case?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Are you asking if you have a case for the change in your pay or a case because of unpaid meal and rest breaks? If you are asking about the pay reduction, you do not have a claim unless you were given some kind of guarantee that you would be paid $12.00/hr. with the $1.00 differential. Otherwise, an employer is perfectly free to lower the pay of its employees as long as it notifies the employee of the reduction in advance.

    If you are asking whether you have a case for unpaid breaks, then it makes a difference if you were not allowed to take breaks or if you voluntarily did not take breaks. Sometimes it is hard to tell if something was "voluntarily " because there can be a lot of coercion by the employer.

    Your best option is to speak with one or more experienced employment law attorneys with whom you can discuss the details of your situation. To find a plaintiffs employment attorney in California, please go to the web site of the California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA). CELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the state for attorneys who represent working people. The web site is www.cela.org. Click on "Find a CELA Member" and you can search by location and practice area. Many CELA attorneys represent clients throughout the state.

    I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.

    twitter.com/MikaSpencer *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the... more
  2. Kristine S Karila

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Call an employment law attorney to discuss. You don't provide enough facts in your question which can provide a legal analysis. Did your employer fail to "provide an opportunity" for you to take breaks and meal periods? What duties did you have "overnight" in which you were paid $1.00? An attorney needs to know your hours, duties, etc., etc.to analyze whether you have a valid claim. Many employment law attorneys provide a free initial phone consultation. Have the facts in front of you when you call: the dates you were not given "the opportunity to take 10 minute breaks or 30 minute unpaid duty-free meal periods and call an employment law attorney to discuss.

  3. John D Wu

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Not sure, although your potential damages will likely depend on the number of nights that you had to work--and if you received your proper rest and meal periods during this time. A link to a basic guide concerning meal periods and rest periods is provided below. Contact an employment attorney who deals with wage / hour claims. Most offer a free consultation so don't be afraid to ask.

    Any post of discussion above is general in nature and is not intended to and should not be construed as legal... more
  4. Habib Hasbini

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . what do you mean by "faith based non''?
    I need to know more fact to determine if you have a case or no. Is your wage was reduced based on discrimination or retaliation?
    I would recommend that you call an attorney so he or she can answer your question by knowing more facts.

    Law Offices of Hasbini 619-200.8986. Free on phone and in office consultation. http://www.sandiegoemploymentlawyer.net

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,741 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,741 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering