I was held in contempt of a court order in the Superior court, and now there are civil charges too. Is this double jeopardy?

Asked 12 months ago - Tucson, AZ

I was court ordered to give grandparents of my children visits. I with held visits, and did not follow up with the court on why I was doing so. The other party filed local charges, but I was held in contempt in Cochise County. I now face civil charges of failure to comply with a court order in Pima County where I live. The judge in Cochise County told them to drop charges and they didn't instead they asked for jail time. I have no prior history of criminal charges. Can I be charged in Pima County? Do I need to take this back to court?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael Thomas Poulton


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Assuming these are both civil contempt cases, there is no double jeopardy issue. However, there is a jurisdiction and res judicata issue. Two courts cannot simultaneously hold you in contempt for violating the same order. The court that issued the order should handle it.

  2. Thomas A Morton


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . It's very difficult to give a good answer because I don't know if you have been charged with a crime. If all of the proceedings are civil, then there is no jeopardy. The prohibition against double jeopardy only applies to criminal proceedings.

    All information on this website is not, and is not intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney... more

Related Topics

Visitation rights in child custody agreements

Child visitation refers to non-custodial parents' rights to visit their children. These rights are commonly detailed in a visitation plan.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,928 answers this week

3,578 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,928 answers this week

3,578 attorneys answering