I was held in contempt of a court order in the Superior court, and now there are civil charges too. Is this double jeopardy?

Asked 7 months ago - Tucson, AZ

I was court ordered to give grandparents of my children visits. I with held visits, and did not follow up with the court on why I was doing so. The other party filed local charges, but I was held in contempt in Cochise County. I now face civil charges of failure to comply with a court order in Pima County where I live. The judge in Cochise County told them to drop charges and they didn't instead they asked for jail time. I have no prior history of criminal charges. Can I be charged in Pima County? Do I need to take this back to court?

1. Michael Thomas Poulton

Pro

1

Answered . Assuming these are both civil contempt cases, there is no double jeopardy issue. However, there is a jurisdiction and res judicata issue. Two courts cannot simultaneously hold you in contempt for violating the same order. The court that issued the order should handle it.

2. Thomas A Morton

Pro

Answered . It's very difficult to give a good answer because I don't know if you have been charged with a crime. If all of the proceedings are civil, then there is no jeopardy. The prohibition against double jeopardy only applies to criminal proceedings.