I was granted parenting time of 10am-4pm every other Sun. My son & I spend 3 of the 4 hr's in the car for visits to my home

I drive 6hr's total for visit. I believe the distance from each home was overlooked. I did not mention the issues as I was just excited to have time with him. I asked mother to help with transportation. Mother does not want to help, allow a 3rd party and or give more time. 2y's have past I filed a Motion to Modify Parent Time. It was granted & we both were Ordered to RULE 16.2. Mother went to 1 mediation & were to do 2. mother never went to the 2nd & has not complied to RULE16.2. I have obeyed all Rules. Our son deserves more time with me outside the car. I can not afford an attorney I have done it all Pro Se? Can I file something for help till the court date in 7months? Is mother in default? can a court facilitator help? what can I file? what can I say? I need answer (s) and help!

Denver, CO -

Stephen Clark Harkess

Stephen Clark Harkess

Family Law Attorney - Wheat Ridge, CO

When you file pro se, you are acting as your own attorney and it sounds like the case has gotten beyond your legal skills. There is no way to teach you to be a lawyer in a paragraph or two. If you are indigent, you can contact a charity organization like Colorado Legal Services to seek representation. Another less expensive alternative to paying a full retainer would be to hire an attorney on an hour by hour basis to review your case and help you with the documents you need to file in order to more effectively represent yourself.

Sponsored Listing
David Littman

David Littman

Child Custody Lawyer - Denver, CO

You can file a document that advises the court of the mother's failure to comply with 16.2 and with mediation. You would serve yourself well if you scheduled a consult with a family law attorney to at least try to gain a greater understanding of how to represent yourself. It is a little like doing brain surgery on yourself.

Carina M. Jenkins

Carina M. Jenkins

Family Law Attorney - Broomfield, CO

It does sound like you may have some options for getting more time with your child. However, it also sounds like quite a bit has happened in your case and things have become somewhat complicated. Unfortunately, the best course of action can depend greatly on the specifics of each case. There are certain details missing from your question which could assist an attorney in helping you decide what to do (e.g. what is the exact status of your Motion to Modify? Often a court "grants" the motion, but all that means is that a hearing has been set on he issue).

Some attorneys, like myself, offer "unbundled" services meaning they will review your case and assist in preparing the appropriate filings. This is generally much cheaper than hiring an attorney to provide full representation on your case. There are also various organizations that provide free legal assistance to qualifying cases. Metro Volunteer Lawyers provides assistance on some family law cases.