I was given the advice to plead "no contest" to a speeding ticket. What does that mean and what are the implications?

Orlando, FL |

I recently got a speeding ticket on the 408. I have never in my life gotten a ticket. I was told to go to court and plead no contest so I don't get the points. I have a court date next week and have no idea what do or say to them.

No contest simply means you are not contesting the charges (you are not admitting guilt, but you are not going to fight the charges and will accept a sentence).

The above answer is for general information only. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

I agree with the other attorney, you are not admitting guilt, you are simply stating you do not want to contest the charges anymore. Unless you were speeding significantly you should be fine. If you are still unsure, you should hire an experienced ticket attorney to help with your case.

Entering a no contest plea does not automatically mean you will not get points on your driver's license record. To avoid points request that the judge or hearing officer withholds adjudication of guilt.
Good luck

Legal disclaimer: The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices.

Pleading no contest will not mean that you do not get a point, it is as my colleagues have said not admitting guilt, but it is treated the same way as a guilty plea by criminal courts. You can plead no contest and ask for traffic school, that will keep you from getting a point on your driving record.

The information provided is not intended as legal advice and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If you are in the greater Sacramento area and wish a further consultation please contact me at (916)594-9442.

I would recommend speaking to an experienced traffic lawyer before you enter any plea. As stated by other responses, stating no contest does not ensure you will not receive points or other sanctions I'm sure you are hoping to avoid. There may be legal defenses to your ticket that you could explore in court. Additionally, depending on the speed of the ticket you may be facing additional consquences outside of just a fine and points. Before you head to court speak with an experienced lawyer.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets