I was given an I-94. Now do I apply for Adjustment of Status (I-485) or does my husband petition me through I-130?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lemoore, CA

I was given the I-94 through the military Parole In Place. My husband is deploying in a few days and the lawyers on base weren't able to help us because my husband was unable to get out of work to go talk to them. Now we don't know what to do next? Help us please.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Download Forms I-130, G-325, as well as From I-864 from the USCIS website, including the instructions for each Form. www.uscis.gov is the website. Have your husband fill out, to the best of his knowledge each and every one of the above-listed Forms, sign and date them & leave them with you. Also have husband leave with you the copy of his latest Federal Income Tax return (Form 1040), with all its Schedules, as well as a copy of 3 of his pay stubs and his W-2 for 2012. (All of these doc's should be readily available to him..)

    ! Make sure husband leaves you one or two passport size pictures prior to being deployed !!

    Also download for yourself Forms I-485, G-325, I-765 and I-131 - sign and date them. Also, make an appointment with a "Civil Surgeon" in the USCIS list on their website that is closest to you.

    Once you have accumulated all those Forms (and had your husband sign those that correspond to him) arrange an appointment with the lawyers in base and have them guide you further.
    Best wishes,

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Both.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Behar, though I think you would be better off finding the time and hiring an immigration attorney.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,500 answers this week

3,402 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,500 answers this week

3,402 attorneys answering