I was given a misdemeanor for paraphernalia, do I need a lawyer?

Asked about 2 years ago - Ypsilanti, MI

I a 19, in Ypsilanti. Michigan. I want to know if I need a lawyer and what kind or fines/penalties I am looking at

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Cy M. Abdo


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Absolutely. You may be able to keep it off your record. At your age, an attorney can petition the court or plea bargain for HYTA (Youthful Trainee Act) status (for offenders age 18 but under age 21). After a period of probation (which may include drug testing), the offense will be dismissed if you get HYTA status. Don't mess around. If you cannot afford a lawyer, ask for a court-appointed lawyer.

  2. Joshua Duane Jones

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Typically this kind of charge is one through the city or township, meaning there is not a state law on the crime. Therefore, this will likely be a 90 or 93 misdemeanor with a fine. But because the city or township is the one controlling the crime, the fine could vary. You should contact an attorney because there may be something that he or she can do for you. It is never good to deal with a drug or drug-related crime with the assistance of an attorney, even when they seem minor.

  3. Jonathan Andrew Paul

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . At your age, you have a lot of options. If you're interested in further discussing your case, feel free to view my profile and contact me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,989 answers this week

3,011 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,989 answers this week

3,011 attorneys answering