I was given a court appointed attorney on a 2nd degree felony charge (assault with deadly weapon against a family member).

Asked over 1 year ago - Gatesville, TX

I don't feel he is handling my case in my best interest. Can I request another court appointed attorney? Who do I go to to get a different court appointed attorney?

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

2

Answered . The judge probably won't give you another attorney, because he has already approved that person as competent when he gave them the appointment. You'll just have to go into the courtroom and ask to speak to the judge. If you have not interviewed any private attorneys, you should. Their fees will vary greatly and many offer payment plans. You might find one you can afford.

2. Shawn H. Smith

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with the above answer, and would just add that if you don't feel comfortable with the attorney you have been appointed your best option is to contact private attorney's to see what their rates are. The court appointed attorney system is valuable and a great service, but you do not have the freedom to pick and choose your attorney. A judge may grant your request, but you are just rolling the dice again since you have no idea who he/she will appoint to your case.

3. Bobby Dale Barina

1

Answered . You should speak with your attorney about your concerns. Perhaps there is a reason for your attorneys actions. You always have the right to hire your own attorney.