I was given a court appointed attorney on a 2nd degree felony charge (assault with deadly weapon against a family member).

Gatesville, TX |

I don't feel he is handling my case in my best interest. Can I request another court appointed attorney? Who do I go to to get a different court appointed attorney?

1. The judge probably won't give you another attorney, because he has already approved that person as competent when he gave them the appointment. You'll just have to go into the courtroom and ask to speak to the judge. If you have not interviewed any private attorneys, you should. Their fees will vary greatly and many offer payment plans. You might find one you can afford.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

2. I agree with the above answer, and would just add that if you don't feel comfortable with the attorney you have been appointed your best option is to contact private attorney's to see what their rates are. The court appointed attorney system is valuable and a great service, but you do not have the freedom to pick and choose your attorney. A judge may grant your request, but you are just rolling the dice again since you have no idea who he/she will appoint to your case.

3. You should speak with your attorney about your concerns. Perhaps there is a reason for your attorneys actions. You always have the right to hire your own attorney.

Bobby Barina's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Barina offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call his office at 254-699-3755 to make an appointment or visit his website at www.bobbybarina.com for more information about his services.