I was given a citation with a court appearance but not arrested for shoplifting at a grocer. I'm on probation for a drug charge

Asked over 1 year ago - Frankfort, KY

A witness saw me accessing a bag of paid goods while shopping and reported me to LP. They assumed I bagged the items unpaid. I was unaware of their surveillance. My 4month old started fussing so I made my way to the vending machines just outside the exit to buy a bottle of water to prepare a bottle with some formula I had already paid for. There is merchandise for sale outside the exit along the sidewalk near the vending machines. Mostly plants, outdoor furniture, etc. Just before I could exit, a man pushed a buggy in my way then flashed his badge. I told him my intentions and offered to pay which he refused. I was given the formula with proof of receipt but charged for the rest. I was truly unaware I was unlawful. I'm on diversion/probation for a drug charge. Am I screwed?

1. Frank Mascagni III

1

1

Answered . You need a criminal defense attorney ASAP. www.kacdl.net

The theft charge is a crime. This can form the basis to remove you from diversion/probation and allow the judge to sentence you to jail/pen. Get an experienced lawyer ASAP.

2. Joshua D Farley

1

Answered . Mr. Mascagni is correct. Given your diversion situation, it is important that you consult with a criminal defense attorney ASAP. Any new conviction or charge could end your diversion and you could be facing jail time, as well as a conviction. My office is experienced in dealing with situations such as this and we are located in Frankfort, across from the Kentucky History Center. If you would like assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.