I was given a citation which was labeled a misdemeanor. I went to court and paid the fine. Was I considered "convicted"?

Asked 4 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

The citation was for smoking a cigarette in a public park. In case anyone asks if I've been "convicted" in a court of law or have a "misdemeanor", should I mention this? Also would this bar me from entering other countries like Canada?

1. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

1

Answered . Are you sure it was a misdemeanor ? Check with immigration attorney or Canada consulate .

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY
  2. Robert Lee Marshall

1

Answered . If you went to court and paid the fine, you were convicted.

However, it's possible that the offense was reduced to an infraction. If it was a misdemeanor, you would have been entitled to a jury trial and a court-appointed public defender. The judge would also be required to have you waive those rights before entering a plea.

I would go to the courthouse where this offense was filed and look at the court's file to see if you were actually convicted of a misdemeanor.

3. John M. Kaman

Pro

1

Answered . No it will not bar you from entering Canada. The only people who have problems are those with DUIs in the last 5 years. In Canada a DUI is a felony.