I was forced to pay off a default judgement in order to get my home refinanced. I don't think the debt was valid. What can I do?

Asked 6 months ago - Laurel, MS

I purchased a new home in 2012. When we tried to get it refinanced, I discovered a default judgement filed in 2009. The company who won the default judgment has a reputation for getting judgments on bogus debt. The bank forced me to pay the debt off even though I kept telling them I was pretty sure it wasn't legit. When I contacted the company, they demanded $1K ABOVE the original judgement but because I was about to lose my home if I didn't get the new loan, I had to pay it. Now that it is paid, what can I do to get the judgment reversed and make the company reimbursement the payment due to it not being a valid debt?

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

1

Answered . Once you pay a court judgment, getting it reversed is going to be a big problem. I might consult a local litigation attorney, but it sounds like it is way too late to do anything. Hope this perspective helps!

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Did you preserve your right to challenge before you paid? More details are needed.