Skip to main content

I was forced to pay off a default judgement in order to get my home refinanced. I don't think the debt was valid. What can I do?

Laurel, MS |
Filed under: Sued for debt

I purchased a new home in 2012. When we tried to get it refinanced, I discovered a default judgement filed in 2009. The company who won the default judgment has a reputation for getting judgments on bogus debt. The bank forced me to pay the debt off even though I kept telling them I was pretty sure it wasn't legit. When I contacted the company, they demanded $1K ABOVE the original judgement but because I was about to lose my home if I didn't get the new loan, I had to pay it. Now that it is paid, what can I do to get the judgment reversed and make the company reimbursement the payment due to it not being a valid debt?

Attorney Answers 2


Did you preserve your right to challenge before you paid? More details are needed.

Mark as helpful


Once you pay a court judgment, getting it reversed is going to be a big problem. I might consult a local litigation attorney, but it sounds like it is way too late to do anything. Hope this perspective helps!

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics