I was fired over the weekend for expressing my opinion about the company and my market manager via text message

Oklahoma City, OK |

over a non corporate group chat application, I was under the influence at the time and off the clock and I was fired without a chance to speak to HR to defend myself

1. Most employment is "at will," meaning that the employer or the employee is free to terminate the employment relationship for any reason, even if it is not a particularly good reason. The exceptions to the "at will" doctrine are where there is a written employment agreement (such as a collective bargaining agreement), or there is unlawful discrimination or retaliation by the employer.

Without more information, it is impossible to say that any of those exceptions apply in your circumstance.

More likely, the company fired you solely because of your disparaging remarks. Your defense of drunkenness really does not help you at all.

It may well be that your employer is hyper-sensitive. Or it may be that your employer prefers that its employees not be publicly (or semi-publicly) speaking ill of the company and its personnel.

You may wish to consult with a local attorney, but I do not see any viable recourse here.

Good luck to you.

Michael S. Haber is a New York attorney. As such, his responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to his understanding of law in the jurisdiction in which he practices and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as legal advice can only be provided in circumstances in which the attorney is able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather appropriate information. In addition, an attorney/client relationship is formed only by specific agreement.

2. The previous poster is correct about at will employment. Oklahoma is an at will employment state. The only thing to add is to look at your employment handbook to see if there were any set procedures that they were suppose to follow as far as terminating you. That may be your only recourse in addition to the other possibilities expressed by the previous attorney.

Answers to AVVO questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is not a substitute for legal advice and should not be relied upon without a full consultation with an attorney that can fully look at issues involved.