I was fired from my job over the phone with no explanation?

Medford, NY |

For the past year my boss has been calling me several times a day ,waking me up knowing i had to be back at work 6 hrs later. Making me stay late from my over night shift every time i work. As well as makes up lies and writes me up for them. I was constantly singled out. She would tell my personal family buissness to all the other employees. She even told all my collegues that she was firing me before she actually did. everyone knew before I knew. Everytime I was written up she announced it to all the other employees. When I asked her if she had any other hours because my husband lost his job she replied back with no, and that i better not get another part time job or she will let me go. She also threatned to fire me if i went on my vacation which she ok'd a year ago. ..what can Ido?

1. Your facts are complicated. Get a free consultation with a local lawyer to sort it out.

David Mallen

David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.

2. Unfortunately, unless fired for a discriminatory reason, you have no recourse.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

3. Unfortunately, unless you have an employment contract or are a union member, your employer does not need a reason to fire you. She can literally fire you for no reason at all.

It is illegal to discriminate against an employee if it is based on their membership in a protected class (like their race, religion, sex, disability, etc..), but it is not illegal for an employer to treat you poorly because they have a personal problem with you.

This answer is provided for guidance only. DO NOT rely on it as legal advice. We DO NOT have an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney in your area for a one-on-one consultation before pursuing any action or making any decisions.