I was fired from my job as a nanny we had a contract and she did not give me severance pay what should I do?

Bronx, NY |

The contract stated if she fires me she has to pay me 1 week severance pay each year I worked for them

Typically, severance is not guaranteed, but if you state that you have a contract that guarantees you severance no matter the cause for termination, it is in your best interest to contact an attorney to review the document to determine whether something can be accomplished on your behalf.

The information provided does not constitute legal advice and is presented without any representation or warranty whatsoever, including as to the accuracy or completeness of the information. Always contact an attorney when seeking legal advice. www.risman-law.com / www.TrueFightLaw.com

You can consult an attorney who can contact them to try and obtain the money for you, of you can sue in small claims court without a lawyer.

You may have a breach of contract case.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

How many years did you work for them, and how much money are you talking about? Why were you fired? If it's under $5,000, I'd suggest small claims court.

I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists.