I was fired from my job as a nanny we had a contract and she did not give me severance pay what should I do?

Asked about 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

The contract stated if she fires me she has to pay me 1 week severance pay each year I worked for them

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . You may have a breach of contract case.

2. Peter J Weinman

Pro

4

Answered . How many years did you work for them, and how much money are you talking about? Why were you fired? If it's under $5,000, I'd suggest small claims court.

I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists.
  3. Jeffrey Risman

Pro

2

Answered . Typically, severance is not guaranteed, but if you state that you have a contract that guarantees you severance no matter the cause for termination, it is in your best interest to contact an attorney to review the document to determine whether something can be accomplished on your behalf.

4. Arthur H. Forman

Pro

2

Answered . You can consult an attorney who can contact them to try and obtain the money for you, of you can sue in small claims court without a lawyer.