I was fired from my job. I have an employee handbook without a disclosure. ICan I get my job back?

Asked 5 months ago - Las Vegas, NV

I was fired from my job. I have an employee handbook without a disclosure. Can I get my job back? Is the handbook a contract. If so, then did the company breach the contract?

1. Malik W. Ahmad

Answered . A handbook is a general guidelines governing employment, and is not a contract which can be binding. However, some of the guidelines can have contractual meaning. Also, you should note the guidelines regarding progressive discipline and terminable offenses. Furthermore, Nevada is at will state which means you can quit your job at your will, and likewise your employer can terminate you at their will. However, you can contest if you was terminated because of race, gender, age, public policy restrictions.

2. Randy Jay Harvey

Answered . Nevada is an at will employment state, your employer doesnt need any reason to fire you. As for whether the handbook is a contract that depends on the language. Have a local attorney review it. Best of luck!