I was fired from my employer. The Texas Workforce Commission denied me unemployment because of "misconduct." How do I appeal?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

I had a very stressful year in 2012. I was in the middle of a child custody dispute that I lost. My home was foreclosed on. I lost two vehicles thru repossesion. I had to declare Bankruptcy all during 2012. My employer never really pointed out my mistakes. In Jan. 2013 I received a "Satisfactory" review and then days later in Jan 2013 a different manager fired me, effective immediately. My 2012 evaluation was Satisfactory but then they very suddently fired me on Jan. 22 2013 just days later. I did have a rough and stressful year. I took 8 days of FMLA leave to hold on to my job in July. I really need some help. I can work. But I really was counting on unemployment to get me through this rough time while I am looking for a job but Travis County (my employer) denies me TWC. Help!

Additional information

My immediate supervisor said I did well in 2012 and said so in her Jan. 2013 "Satisfactory" evaluation. But my manager fired me days later in Jan. 2013. Don't I have a right to the truth about my work performance whether my work performance is good or bad. I feel that Travis County owed me a truthful 2012 evaluation that showed all the gross misconduct and mistakes I made during the year. Instead one supervisor sugar coated everything, and the other one fired me saying "You are fired effective immediately." And that was that. Do I have right to the truth. Should I get TWC benefits for being a good employee for 7 years and 9 months at Travis Co.?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Thomas J. Crane

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Yes, as mentioned already, your letter of denial will explain how to appeal. If you have not yet had a phone hearing, that will be your next step. Most hearing officers will require the employer to document that they warned you about performance problems. So, be sure to use that satisfactory performance evaluation as evidence. That will help show they did not warn you about issues. You can also research the unemployment benefits rules at the TWC website.

    This information does not create an attorney-client relationship, and the questioner is reminded that s/he should... more
  2. David C. Holmes

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Just follow the instructions on the notice that you received. You can appeal the determination, and you will get a telephone hearing before a TWC hearing examiner.

  3. Debra Vera Jennings


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes. File a Timely appeal and be prepared to explain that you did not engage in misconduct in connection with your job.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,472 answers this week

3,158 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,472 answers this week

3,158 attorneys answering