I was fired from my 6 year general manager position. The company says I violated their social media policy.

Aurora, IL |

All managers signed off on the policy a few years ago.
I fired an employee for stealing. Afterward I posted on Facebook about it. I took the post down rather quickly, but not before the employee’s sister saw it. She also works for the company. I’m convinced I was let go due to some reoccurring health issues I’ve had and having a salary well above average my position. I’ve seen managers harass employees and not get fired, so this seems extreme. I’ve filed for unemployment in Illinois. Will I get it? My record with the company prior to this was good.

Sounds to me like you violated the policy, tried to cover it up, and were rightfully fired.

The author is a Maryland attorney; however no answer given on Avvo is intended as legal advice or intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Dan's expertise lies in the electronic entertainment (video game) industry, as well as complex internet law issues, electronic free speech, entertainment law, copyright and trademark law, and computer fraud. He primarily represents game developers and founders of emergent internet technologies.

Unless you had a written employment contract, you were an at will employee, which means you could be fired for any reason, as long as it did not involve discrimination on grounds of race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, etc. Violation of a social networking policy in this matter is a serious transgression for a company manager---it certainly could form the basis for termination.

Was there some specific reason that you posted this info? You knew about the policy. What facts and circumstances explain this lapse by you? In the absence of some very compelling explanation, you very likely were not only lawfully terminated but you will likely be without UI benefits.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.