I was fired for complaining about being harassed. is there anything i can do abou this?

Asked over 3 years ago - New Port Richey, FL

i was at first being sexually harassed by another employee. i told my boss several times but nonthing changed. then this employees attitude changed towards me and he became hostile and agressive in a non sexual way. was making it very hard to do my job. i told my boss again about his and he fired my saying he didnt need any 'BAD CHEMESTRY' in his work place. what can i do about this?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Scott M. Behren


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You might want to consider filing an EEOC Charge for retaliation under TItle VII and the Florida Civil Rights Act. I have posted on my blog about the process for filing and EEOC Charge. Feel free to check it out at www.takethisjobnshoveitblog.com.

  2. Karen Suzette Lindholdt

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Based upon the facts you provided, it sounds like you may have a case for wrongful termination. It is unlawful for employers to terminate an employee based solely upon the fact that the employee had complained or acted as a whistleblower about another employees inappropriate behavior. Here, it sounds like the entire basis for your termination was because you had complained about being sexually harassed by a co-worker. I highly recommend that you meet with an attorney in your region who specializes in wrongful termination. Good luck.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now