Skip to main content

I was falsely accused with leaving the scene of an accident with injury. Pedestrian did not get plate, decided to blame me .

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

Pedestrian was hit by a car that is totally different from the car I drive. He did not get the plate number and decided to file a false report blaming me the accident. The P.O. issued me a citation a month after the accident. Told the P.O. That I did not do this and do not know of anyone that drives a car that the pedestrian was hit by. Was told to appear in court and date of citation and was told that citation was not on the court docket. So, far it's been over 6mos. now and citation has not been filed into the system. Have not hired an attorney yet. Please advise !

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Your insurance company should represent you and fight to deny the injury claim. I suggest spending the small amount of
    Money to hire a lawyer to make sure you can fight the citation. Feel free to contact me if you need assistance. 954-got-injured.

    LEGAL ADVICE: Unless you have retained me as your attorney, and I am currently engaged by you and providing you with legal advice and services, nothing in this message is intended to be, nor may it be construed as, legal advice.

  2. Scott is correct. Also secure any evidence of where you were if you know when it was. it is going to come up.

    Please CLICK the button if I HELPED or was BEST ANSWER. We also answer your questions on facebook-, on twitter- @athleticslawyer and our radio show, Courts & Sports, on WOKV. Please like or follow us. No attorney-client relationship is established and responses here are general first impressions. You should consult with a lawyer about your problems. More about our firm is located at

  3. I agree with both of my fellow colleagues regarding your insurance company fighting this for you, however there is one additional potential issue. Leaving the scene of an accident is a criminal charge. If it is simply property damage the charge is a misdemeanor and you can be charged by a traffic citation. If the charge is leaving the scene with injury to person it's a 3rd degree felony and typically you are formally arrested. I would advise you to contact a local criminal defense attorney who provides a free consultation and discuss the matter further.

    The information presented is for information purposes only based on the information provided. An attorney client relationship is not formed.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics