I was falsely accused with leaving the scene of an accident with injury. Pedestrian did not get plate, decided to blame me .

Asked about 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pedestrian was hit by a car that is totally different from the car I drive. He did not get the plate number and decided to file a false report blaming me the accident. The P.O. issued me a citation a month after the accident. Told the P.O. That I did not do this and do not know of anyone that drives a car that the pedestrian was hit by. Was told to appear in court and date of citation and was told that citation was not on the court docket. So, far it's been over 6mos. now and citation has not been filed into the system. Have not hired an attorney yet. Please advise !

1. Michael Leonard Mastrogiovanni

Pro

8

1

Answered . I agree with both of my fellow colleagues regarding your insurance company fighting this for you, however there is one additional potential issue. Leaving the scene of an accident is a criminal charge. If it is simply property damage the charge is a misdemeanor and you can be charged by a traffic citation. If the charge is leaving the scene with injury to person it's a 3rd degree felony and typically you are formally arrested. I would advise you to contact a local criminal defense attorney who provides a free consultation and discuss the matter further.

2. Scott Daniel Sobol

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . Your insurance company should represent you and fight to deny the injury claim. I suggest spending the small amount of
    Money to hire a lawyer to make sure you can fight the citation. Feel free to contact me if you need assistance. 954-got-injured.

3. John Michael Phillips

Pro

3

1

Answered . Scott is correct. Also secure any evidence of where you were if you know when it was. it is going to come up.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now