I was falsely accused of shoplifting

Detroit, MI |

I was at a department store almost 2 weeks ago looking around for nail stuff. I got some but placed them back on the aisle cause I didn't want them. As I was going around the store, security approached me and asked me if I was looking at the nail section and he was holding the things I returned. I said yes but I put them back cause I didn't want to buy them. He then told me to leave the store and not come back. If I will, I will be prosecuted. As I was out, he ran after me and asked me if I had taken something that I didn't pay for. I showed him all the contents of my bag to prove to him that I didn't. He then told me to not return to the store. The cops were not called and none of my information was taken. What should I do? I have shoplifted before but wasn't caught. Thanks.

I would take my business elsewhere from now on. Don't return to that store, and don't shoplift.

Contact me at 248-702-5303 for a free consultation. My answer to this question is for general informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should seek the assistance of an attorney to determine the best approach and potential consequences for your situation.

Stop shoplifting, it is not worth the risk! Stay away from that store.

This is general information and not legal advise. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.

Don't go back.

They can't prosecute you for shoplifting just for going back to the store, but you can be charged with trespassing. Don't go back. It is clear you're not welcome there and why invite the scrutiny. And DON'T SHOPLIFT! That you haven't been caught yet doesn't mean that you won't be caught.

This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not to be relied on as legal advice. You should consult an attorney before taking any action that may affect your case or potential case. Furthermore, this response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between you and this attorney. Please contact this attorney directly to retain his services or for a free consultation.

I don't have any plans of going back. I'm laying low for a few months. I'm scared. I know I did something wrong and I feel so bad about it. Serves me right.

Jeffrey Scott Kaplan

Jeffrey Scott Kaplan

I'm glad to see you acknowledge your mistake. Getting caught is scary, but I can assure you the inside of the county jail is scarier. Believe me. I've seen it. If your shoplifting is a compulsion or an addiction, you may want to consider psychological counseling. Good luck to you.

Don't go back.

Stop shoplifting.

Stop posting admissions on the web.

***Answering legal questions is a complex matter and cannot be done without further research. My answer here is based solely on the information given in the question and should be taken as informational only. This is not legal advice. My answer here does not indicate that I represent you now, or that I will represent you at a later time. I take clients on a case-by-case basis, and only after initial consultations. ***