I was falsely accused of leaving the scene of an accident with injury to a pedestrian. No criminal charges were filed against me

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

I was falsely accused of leaving the scene of an accident with injury to a pedestrian. No criminal charges were filed against me !

1- I was not at the scene of the accident and the victim was hit by a car totally different from the car I drive. I also have proof of my whereabouts at the time of the accident.

2- No criminal charges were filed because either the PO never filed the ticket or the state prosecutor decided it was not worth prosecuting ( over 6 mos now )

3- My insurance company ( against my wishes ) decided to settle with the PI attorney for the max of my liability coverage. They accepted the check and is deposited in a trust account but, the release has not been signed yet. He is trying to access his UM/UIM for pain and suffering compensation.

Why is the release not signed?

Additional information

I thought if the PI attorney deposited the check, they have an obligation to sign a release. What is holding up the release from being signed?

Also, if a release is signed, can his insurance company company come after me for what they paid out in pain and suffering ?

With all the info above, that i was clearly NOT at fault, would it still be worth it to them ( PI attorney or insurance company ) to try to sue me beyond my liability policy limits?


Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeff Tomberg

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . this question was previously asked and answered. you should retain your OWN lawyer to review

    without a detailed review by a lawyer can all the issues raised in your question be appropriately addressed...... more
  2. Afshin Pishevar

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . ...there is a special release where they can take you policy limits and still go after UIM. they put their own insurance on 60 days notice... either they accept the special release or they have to cover the policy limit pending disposition of the entire case... its complicated and you should consult with your own attorney which the insurance company will cover if litigation is filed. Fully cooperate w your insurance company... Best of luck!

  3. Robert Don Fink


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This question was previously asked and answered. The short version is to retain your own attorney

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,478 answers this week

2,770 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary