I was falsely accused of leaving the scene of an accident with injury to a pedestrian. Criminal and Civil issues involved.......

Asked over 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

I was falsely accused of leaving the scene of an accident with injury to a pedestrian. The pedestrian was hit by a car that is totally different from the car I drive that was stated by eyewitnesses and I was not at the scene because, I have proof of my where abouts at the time of the accident. The police report that was written was very vague and criminal charges were never filed. The victims personal injury attorney filed a claim against my insurance company and Although, I was not at fault and told my insurance company not to pay, they decided to pay the claim to the max of my liability coverage. The PI attorney accepted the funds but, did not sign the release. The victim is going after his UM/UIM coverage on his policy for pain and suffering. Will his insurance company try to sue me ?

Additional information

If he gets paid by his insurance company under his UM/UIM policy how much can he get and will his insurance company try to recoup those funds by suing me personally ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is unlikely there is not a release from any further civil liability. Your insurer can not get a release for criminal liability. That is up to the government. You should hire a lawyer.

    This content is informational only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your insurer paid your limits without obtaining a release, you need to retain a lawyer in the jurisdiction where the "settlement" was made to review whether you should take legal action against your insurer.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Regardless of the release, if you get sued, your insurance company must defend you. You stated there was criminal issues involved, where you served with a criminal complaint or information, or were you arrested? If so, you need to defend this case. Review my website to see if it answers any questions you may have.

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Pedestrian accidents and personal injury

Pedestrian accidents pose a significant risk for personal injury. However, pedestrians injured by vehicles may be able to recover damages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,680 answers this week

3,670 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,680 answers this week

3,670 attorneys answering