I was evicted and the landlord threw away all my furniture b/c I did not have it moved prior to lockout. I was disposed of in 5

Charlotte, NC |

days. The Sheriff's office told me I had 10 days. I have an email from the landlord on day 8 telling me the law had changed January 1, 2013 and that I only had 5 days. Because my house burned down in 2010, everything in that apartment was less than 2 years old. Over $15,000.00 worth of furniture in there. Can I sue the landlord and what kind of attorney do I need to contact?

1. The law in this regard ahs not changed. You have 10 days to get your items out. You can sue the landlord for your lost items, the problem is two fold.

First, you have to prove that the landlord destroyed your items early and that you tried to arrrange a time to get them. This is never easy but perhaps your e-mail will help.

Second, you have to prove the value of your items. Unfortunately, even if your items are fairly new, theya re typically replaced at yard sale value unless you can show reciepts and prove the condition of each items, which typically requires pictures and other demonstrative evidence.

Contact an attorney in your area who practices civil litigation.

Landlord-tenant law topics