Skip to main content

I was due a contracted raise 18 months ago how do I obtain all of it? company will only pay 3 months back

Buffalo, NY |

I was due a contracted raise 18 months ago how do I obtain all of it? company will only pay 3 months back and I being asked to sign a statement stating I agree with this amount

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Is there a union involved? who negotiated the contract increase? what were the reasons given for denying the raise due 18 months ago? More information is needed. Depending on the answer to these questions, it would be in your best interests to consult with an attorney so that the facts and circumstances behind the raise can be fully vetted so that you may be able to get a fuller sense of your rights.

    Best of Luck!

    William J. Lasko
    Attorney at Law
    482 Summer Street, 2nd fl
    Stamford, Conn. 06901
    tel. 203 329-6602

    William J. Lasko is an experienced New York, Connecticut and Washington, D. C., licensed attorney who focuses his practice primarily on employment law, personal injury and estate matters. Mr. Lasko, has been in practice for more than 23 years, represents clients throughout New York, Connecticut and Washington, D. C.. More information is available at This response is for general informational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. Additionally, this response does not create an attorney client relationship.

  2. Take your original contract and the statement your employer is asking you to sign now to a local employment attorney for review. The attorney will need to go over both to determine what your rights are, how to enforce them, and what rights you may be giving up if you sign the new agreement. You can search for an attorney on Avvo or contact the National Employment Lawyers Association for a referral.

    This answer is provided for guidance only. DO NOT rely on it as legal advice. We DO NOT have an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney in your area for a one-on-one consultation before pursuing any action or making any decisions.

  3. If you are in a union, you must file a grievance with your shop steward. Check the contract provisions; your "contracted raise" may have conditions attached to it which your employer may think you violated (common violations are performance deficiencies or poor attendance). If this is the case, you must demand a hearing with your HR department.

    All answers given are my opinions based on the limited facts given. No answers should be relied upon without a full consultation. To make an appointment, please call: 631.988.0976.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics