I was driving my moms car and didn't have insurance or licence. Now. What can I do to get the car out of impound

Vista, CA |

I backed into a car parked directly behind me did not see her. She didn't have a license either it was on a private property. It just so happened a police officer was walking by and both of our cars are impounded for 30 days. The vehicle is my moms and in her name. Is there anything I can due

1. There should be a form you can get from the local law enforcment agency to address your concerns. Pick up the form and get it to your mother. Fill out the form and turn it in to the local police agaency.

If you are a potential client, the information you disclose to us by email will be kept in strict confidence and will be protected to the full extent of the law. Please be advised, however, that the Law Offices of Frank M. Nunes, Inc. and its lawyers do not represent you until you have signed a retainer agreement with the firm. Until that time, you are responsible for any statutes of limitations or other deadlines for your case or potential case.

2. Tell your mom what happened. Take her down to the impound lot, pay the fee and they will release the car to her.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I. I am not your lawyer and I am not representing you in the underlying issue stated in your question. The response I have offered is not intended to be relied upon, you should seek out an attorney to assist in this matter.

3. Assuming that your mother had insurance, the accident should be reported to her insurance company if the damage is (or could be) over $500. While you say that you did not have insurance, generally speaking the insurance "follows the car" not the person, and unless the insurance company had a specific exclusion keeping you off her policy, you likely qualify as a "permissive user" to be afforded coverage under that policy.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.