I was driving my moms car and didn't have insurance or licence. Now. What can I do to get the car out of impound

Asked almost 2 years ago - Vista, CA

I backed into a car parked directly behind me did not see her. She didn't have a license either it was on a private property. It just so happened a police officer was walking by and both of our cars are impounded for 30 days. The vehicle is my moms and in her name. Is there anything I can due

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Frank Marvin Nunes

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There should be a form you can get from the local law enforcment agency to address your concerns. Pick up the form and get it to your mother. Fill out the form and turn it in to the local police agaency.

    If you are a potential client, the information you disclose to us by email will be kept in strict confidence and... more
  2. David M Blain

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Tell your mom what happened. Take her down to the impound lot, pay the fee and they will release the car to her.

    This response does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I. I am not your lawyer and I am not... more
  3. Marc Sean Hurd

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Assuming that your mother had insurance, the accident should be reported to her insurance company if the damage is (or could be) over $500. While you say that you did not have insurance, generally speaking the insurance "follows the car" not the person, and unless the insurance company had a specific exclusion keeping you off her policy, you likely qualify as a "permissive user" to be afforded coverage under that policy.

    Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,504 answers this week

3,215 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,504 answers this week

3,215 attorneys answering