I was driving my friends car home because he was too drunk and he told me to drive . I hit a guard rail and totaled the car .

Asked about 2 years ago - Spring Valley, NY

No one was hurt and no other cars were involved . His car is just totaled . Can he sue me ?

Attorney answers (8)

  1. 15

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. Don't post more facts. Were you ticketed, as well?

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and... more
  2. 15

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes your friend can sue you for the damages caused to his car. He can also make a claim for bodily injuries against you even though at the present, you don't believe that he was injured. Please be sure to contact your own auto insurance company and report the accident. You will also need to report the accident to your friend's auto insurance company as that carrier will have to defend you in the event of a claim brought against you.

    Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. The answer given is for... more
  3. 15

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As my colleagues have indicated, the answer is yes. Post no more information here and put all carriers on notice of a potential claim. You may want to speak to an attorney BEFORE making any statements to any carriers however.

    Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it... more
  4. 12

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. Depending on whether he has collision coverage, his insurer may have paid for the car less any deductible. He would then have a claim against you for the deductible. Do not go into detail on this site. It may be discoverable during any litigation.

    The underlying facts for each situation are unique. Any responses given are for informational purposes only and... more
  5. 11

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes but you are covered under his insurance so if he has collission insurance then there is no difference in suing you or just making a claim with his carrier.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  6. 11

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the other posters. I do think you should put your insurance on notice. Your friend's insurance may want to subrogate against you.

  7. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes - he could sue you. You should have coverage under his insurance policy, although, I would report the matter to both your carrier and the car's owners carrier.

  8. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Simply report this accident to his insurance company to resolve.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

DUI and civil lawsuits

Drivers who injure or kill someone while under the influence can face more than criminal penalties--they may also be sued by their victims.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,720 answers this week

3,670 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,720 answers this week

3,670 attorneys answering