I was driving my friends car and got into an accident. turns out he had no insurance. what am i responsible for?

Asked over 4 years ago - Oceanside, CA

My friend loaned me his car so that I could put it in a storage facility after he left the country. He was unable to provide me with the active POA to do this. I was driving his car and was involved in an accident that was my fault. There was no police involvement and gave my friends insurance information to the other party. It turned out that his insurance was expired. I am willing to pay the damages, but my friend wants me to help him fix his driving record. Am I responsible for his vehicle being uninsured?

1. Answered . Did you own a vehicle at the time. If so, your auto insurance may cover this loss. As far as your friend's record is concerned, you can't do anything about that. I would be more concerned that you may loose your license if the DMV learns your were driving without insurance (unless you had coverage of your own).

2. Answered . The first big question is whether you have your own insurance to cover the damage you have done? If you do have your own insurance, turn the claim over to your company and let them pay what needs to be paid. Do not worry about your friend's driving record. You cannot fix what you did not cause. I applaud your willingness to be accountable for what you did cause.

3. Answered . You have no ability to fix anyone's driving record. You have taken responsibility for the accident and that is all you need to do.

4. Answered . No, you're not responsible for helping to fix your friend's driving record. But as you were driving a vehicle that was uninsured, you are responsible for the damages caused to the party you hit and the damage to both vehicles.