I was driving my dad's car and I was pulled over because he had a suspended registration and no insurance on the car.

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

He states that he has the documents that shows that he has everything in order, which of course I do not believe him. I have 15 days to respond to the ticket, I am waiting for my Dad to provide me with the documents to mail it in. However, if he doesn't give them to me in time and I respond not guilty, and show up in court with my Dad saying that I had no knowledge of this especially being that all of the documents in the car shows that everything is up to date (with my dad concurring to this) will this be enough to get dismissed?

1. Terri Beth Kalker

Pro

7

Answered . Unfortunately, the answer is not a simple "yes" or "no". A lot depends on which Judge hears your case. There is a "no knowledge" defense possible. If convicted, it will result in a one year revocation of your license, a high fine, and a $750 civil penalty in addition to the fine. Do not take chances. Hire an attorney. I have been doing this for over twenty years and am confidant I can help.

2. Matthew Jay Weiss

6

Answered . Driving with a suspended registration is a criminal offense (misdemeanor). Therefore, you should definitely consult with (if not hire) an experienced NY traffic ticket lawyer. The no insurance ticket is also serious as it carries a 1-year automatic revocation of license (plus hefty fines). Feel free to call us to discuss.

3. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

3

Answered . Your dad can't help you only a lawyer can. You are facing a license suspension. Retain counsel immediately.

4. David B Pittman

Pro

4

Answered . Don't mess around with this. Hire a lawyer asap.