I was driving DUI and caused at 4 car accident. Two of the parties are suing me. How much will they be awarded?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

There are injuries involved in the parties. Cars were totaled

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

15

Answered . Who knows. You're in for a heap of trouble no matter how luck you you are to have survived the accident. Has your criminal case resolved?

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

15

Answered . If you had insurnace, your carrier should be providing you with a legal defense, which includes appointment of an attorney to help you defend against the allegations. I say this assuming the situation has been reported to the carrier. If it has not, make sure you do that right away (provide a copy of the lasuit served upon you).

Because alcohol is involved in your case, there is what we call extra-contractual liability. That means that your carrier does not have to pay for the punitive damages that could be awarded against you by a jury for the alcohol-related driving. For that, you need personal counsel to consult with to protect your assets.

The only good news for you is that the insurance defense attorney will hopefully work hard to resolve all claims against you within your policy limits.

3. David E Ledyard

15

Answered . Speak to a lawyer immediately-do not make comments and admissions in a public forum.

4. Andrew Daniel Myers

14

Answered . Determination of the value of the claims of those injured in car accidents requires a detailed look at the actual damages. The injury itself is part of the value determination. The effects of the injury on the individual are a factor. So, there's no way to even "ball park" the claims based on a few lines posted on a computer website.

HERE IS AN INJURY CALCULATOR:

5. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

10

Answered . Hire the best criminal defense and/or civil defense attorneys you can afford. They might be able to give you a reasonable estimate as to what, if anything, your insurance (assuming you had insurance at the time of the collisions) will not cover.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555
  6. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

10

Answered . Have you asked your lawyer?

Only two?

7. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

9

Answered . Without knowing the injuries of the parties involved or the amount of comparative negligence, if any, that may apply to them, it is impossible to answer your question. Since you are now being sued, I assume your automobile liability insurance company has appointed an attorney to represent you. Schedule a face-to-face meeting with your civil defense counsel to discuss the possible value of the claims. Your attorney will be in a much better position to advise you.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.