Skip to main content

I was divorced in 2006. Are the contents of the agreement valid for a life time.

Riverhead, NY |
Filed under: Divorce

There was sentence that stated that if changes had to be made. I would be responsible for paying his lawyers fees.

Attorney Answers 5


Unless otherwise ordered by a Judge or agreed to by the parties via written post-judgment stipulation, the agreement is indefinite but subject to any time constraints specified in its provisions.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree


You need to have an attorney review the agreement. But the short answer is yes the agreement lasts forever.

Mark as helpful

9 lawyers agree


Yes, but have an attorney review the entire agreement. Your one sentence seems out of place and needs to be read as part of an entire agreement.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree


You should go over this whole agreement with your attorney, however, a final decree is the final word on the divorce agreement unless one party makes a motion to change it. The sentence sounds like the author of the agreement wanted a party to pay the attorney fees of the other party if this went to court again. Check with your attorney for sure.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


The stipulation of settlement that you signed in 2006 is a valid contract in 2013. Unless you can be more specific about the reasons for the change then the only answer that I can give you is that it is a binding contract and you would have to pay for the attorney fees.

you should hire an attorney to obtain legal advice on whether or not there has been a violation of your rights to a speedy trial.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics