I was divorced in 2006. Are the contents of the agreement valid for a life time.

Asked over 1 year ago - Riverhead, NY

There was sentence that stated that if changes had to be made. I would be responsible for paying his lawyers fees.

1. David P. Badanes

9

Answered . You need to have an attorney review the agreement. But the short answer is yes the agreement lasts forever.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

8

Answered . Yes, but have an attorney review the entire agreement. Your one sentence seems out of place and needs to be read as part of an entire agreement.

3. Edwin Drantivy

7

Answered . Unless otherwise ordered by a Judge or agreed to by the parties via written post-judgment stipulation, the agreement is indefinite but subject to any time constraints specified in its provisions.

4. Bruce Provda

Pro

4

Answered . You should go over this whole agreement with your attorney, however, a final decree is the final word on the divorce agreement unless one party makes a motion to change it. The sentence sounds like the author of the agreement wanted a party to pay the attorney fees of the other party if this went to court again. Check with your attorney for sure.

5. Patricia Issberner

Pro

2

Answered . The stipulation of settlement that you signed in 2006 is a valid contract in 2013. Unless you can be more specific about the reasons for the change then the only answer that I can give you is that it is a binding contract and you would have to pay for the attorney fees.