I was disqualified to receive unemployment and I put in a letter for an appeal, is it worth it for me to go to my hearing?

Asked about 1 year ago - Ladera Ranch, CA

I voluntarily quit my job due to no room for growth. Also the fact I had been losing money in putting my child in daycare and miles I drove to the job. I have asked management about getting a promotion and benefits, months before I put in my two week notice. I would like to know if there is a good enough cause to pursue my appeal.

1. Neil Pedersen

3

Answered . Generally a voluntary quit disqualifies you from unemployment benefits. That will likely be the case for you. Just to be safe, take a look at the following web links to the EDD pages that thoroughly discuss the concept of voluntary quit as it will be applied. See if you see any possible way to argue that your resignation was not a "voluntary quit."

http://www.edd.ca.gov/uibdg/Voluntary_Quit_VQ_5...

http://www.edd.ca.gov/uibdg/Voluntary_Quit_-_Ta...

Good luck to you.

2. Cyrus Mor

3

Answered . Any time you voluntarily resign, you place the burden on yourself to prove that you had good cause to end your employment relationship. In addition, you need to preservation of employment (that you took all reasonable steps to maintain the employment relationship. In my opinion, based on the limited facts you provided, you will likely not be successful with your appeal. Sorry to be blunt but the standard for good cause is very difficult to meet.

3. John D Wu

2

Answered . Your situation requires a more thorough examination of details and facts, although based on the facts described, it appears that you may have a tough road ahead concerning the appeal. You should contact an employment law attorney for guidance. Most plaintiff-side attorneys will offer a free and confidential consultation, so always feel free to ask.