Skip to main content

I was discrimnated aganist at my place of employment. Am I requried to file suite and wait on the EEOC Before I can persue alone

Clearfield, PA |

I was racially offended. After i reported the problem to HR. I was quickly terminated. I fillled charges with the eeoc. although that was 1 mnth ago and im still waiting on a letter for an appt at the office. I have called the office and i never get a call back. i called . Another issue is.. a medical provider that i use is under this same former employer. they have sent police officers to my residence, for non payment of medical bill and acqusations that i stole merchandise will at my medical vist. I was almost aressted. Basically what can i do to get around the EEOC. Filling a suite with them is not benifical to my time frame. and i know that i have a right to a speedy trial. What can I do that dont include going through them.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, New Jersey or Federal law apply, unless otherwise specified.

    That being said, you cannot 'get around' the EEOC. The EEOC will issue you a 'right to sue' letter after 1 year, regardless of whether they have finished their investigation or not. They will not have finished; I have had cases languish for 6 months before they were even docketed by the EEOC, let alone investigated.

    Getting a right to sue letter before the 1-year time limit is sometimes possible, but if it is due to your lack of cooperation or refusal to take part, you will potentially lose your right to sue because you have an obligation to take part in the EEOC process.

    If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at the below address(es) or telephone number.

    /Christopher E. Ezold/
    The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
    One Belmont Avenue,
    Suite 501
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
    (610) 660-5585

  2. You have to wait until issuance of a right to sue letter before you can file suit.

  3. You may have a section 1983 case and there is no requirement you go to the EEOC. Typically, you must go to the EEOC with most cases of discrimination and wait a period of time for a "right to sue" notice. I would be glad to talk to you: 610-594-1600.