I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder recurrent and have a GAF score of 60. Will this help a social security claim?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have been taken off work by neurologist and psychiatrist due to depression for 11 and 1/2 months. after 12 months has passed being off work is it easier to obtain social security benefits? My doctor said he will back me up for a social security disability claim.

1. Michael Alan Ferry

7

Best Answer

Answered . The GAF score of 60 may not be too helpful, since it falls at the high end of the "moderate" range for such scores. Your doctor's willingness to support your claim could be very helpful, as long as his treatment notes back up what he says in whatever statement he provides. Your neurologist and psychiatrist taking you off work for that long could also be very helpful. I would urge you to get a lawyer who handles SSD claims as a significant part of his/her practice. As has been said often before in this space, NOSSCR (800-431-2804) is a good referral source for such attorneys. Good luck!

2. Steven Mortimer

7

Answered . GAF scores, in isolation, are useless. What is more important is that your Doctors express your limits specifically relating to work functions. These opinions must be supported by the records. Hence, skilled legal help is a good idea.

3. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

5

1

Answered . The doctor's report needs to confirm what the listings require. It's a great start tho.

4. Timothy Minthorn Klob

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with the prior posts that GAF scores are not particularly helpful unless they are consistent with and backed up by medical records that support a finding of disability. Your doctor's willingness to submit reports and forms on your behalf, provided that these are consistent with medical records, will be of more help to your claim than a GAF score. While a score of 60 may not be that helpful, however, scores that are consistently below 50 can be helpful if they are supported by treating physician records that set forth how a claimant's mental/emotional impairments affect their ability to engage in competitive employment.