I was diagnosed with (DDD) Degenerative Disc Disease

New York, NY |

Soes this qualify for disability? I am waiting for my mri I only was told this after my x rays.

Maybe.

Social Security reviews cases using the five-step sequential evaluation process to decide is a person is disabled. Here are the 5 questions that make up the sequential evaluation process:

(1) Does your impairment keep you from being able to perform a substantial gainful activity (SGA), generally full-time, competitive, work?

(2) Is your impairment severe? AND, is your impairment expected to remain severe for at least 12 months?

(3) Does your impairment “meet or equal” one of Social Security’s “Listing of Impairments?” A listing of medical conditions, acceptable medical evidence, and the severity necessary for an impairment to be considered disabling. There are separate listings for adults and for children.

(4) Does your impairment prevent you from being able to perform any job you performed over the last 15 years which was also a substantial gainful activity?

(5) Does your impairment prevent you from being able to perform any other type of work which exists in substantial numbers of the national economy?

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.

Mr. Wayson's answer is excellent. With that said, I've seen people with severe, and if it's severe you'd know it, Degenerative Disc Disease that qualified for SSDI, but most people with that diagnosis do not.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Stewart & Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldstewart.com

Good answers by both my colleagues. Make sure that you tell SS about ALL medical problems including the DDD - other physical problems, the pain, and any mental or emotional problems - whether they are separate from or caused by the DDD or pain. If you do not tell Social Security about all your problems, they will not make the effort to find out about them for you.

Good luck to you.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Social security topics