I was detained for attempting to shoplift the total came out to be $20.98.

Asked 3 months ago - Rochester, NY

I'm 17 and this was my first time. how much should i expect to pay the fine? also is there any chance that i wont have to pay anything? b/c the man that detained me said since the stuff was in the same shape as before and i cooperated that there will probably be a little to nothing fine for me. also when should i expect to receive this letter?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

1

Answered . You are talking about a civil demand. I advise my clients not to pay the civil demand because I've never seen a store sue to collect. I write a letter to the store or its lawyer directing them not to contact my clients and that ends the matter.

2. Stephen Charles Cooper

Answered . If you were not arrested, taken away by the police and given an appointment for Court, than there will be no fine. You may receive a demand letter from the store's attorney demanding up to five times the value. Howver, it is a demand of no legal force and cam be ignored if you choose.