I was detained for attempting to shoplift the total came out to be $20.98.

Rochester, NY |
Filed under: Shoplifting

I'm 17 and this was my first time. how much should i expect to pay the fine? also is there any chance that i wont have to pay anything? b/c the man that detained me said since the stuff was in the same shape as before and i cooperated that there will probably be a little to nothing fine for me. also when should i expect to receive this letter?

You are talking about a civil demand. I advise my clients not to pay the civil demand because I've never seen a store sue to collect. I write a letter to the store or its lawyer directing them not to contact my clients and that ends the matter.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been handling criminal defense and personal injury cases for over 17 years. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails, is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

so if I don't pay it wont they sent the authority after me?

Sir can you write the letter to the store or the lawyer directing them to do exactly as you said?

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Email me at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com

If you were not arrested, taken away by the police and given an appointment for Court, than there will be no fine. You may receive a demand letter from the store's attorney demanding up to five times the value. Howver, it is a demand of no legal force and cam be ignored if you choose.

Any response I provide is meant as a general view on the subject and is no way intended to be specific legal advice to any individual. If you wish specific advice, you should hire and consult with an attorney of your choosing.

Shoplifting topics