I was designated as a habitual offender, but am now eligible to receive a hardship license. I work most days at a sign shop...

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

... a job that I've had for 3 years. But, on off days and weekends, I do mobile window tinting and decorative glass coatings. I am hoping to qualify for the Business Purposes license. But I am not sure what I need to show at the hearing in order to qualify. Thank you.

1. Ricardo Rivera

5

Answered . A BPO license allows you to drive for work, church, educational purposes, and medical driving. At your hearing they will ask you why you need a license and they will give you a license based on your needs. If you have a job a BPO allows you to drive to and from work and any necessary on the job driving. I dont think they will ask for proof but some pay stubs should do the trick. As far as your side business is concerned i would be more worried about convincing an officer that pulls you over that you are driving for a legitimate purpose. I would make sure to have business cards or other information which proves you are driving for a legitimate purpose.

2. David P. Gilbert

Pro

2

Answered . Call a traffic attorney in whatever county you received your three qualifying offenses (that triggered the HTO revocation) - a traffic attorney may be able to lift one of your prior convictions, which would remove the HTO from your driving record - as if you never had it. Then you won't need a BPO or SR-22, it's definitely worth looking into.

3. Eric Joseph Dirga

Answered . An HTO suspension is for 5-years. After one year you can request a hearing to obtain a Business Purpose Only license for the remaining 4-years. This is a class E license with a "C" restriction. To get this you will need to have completed the Advanced Driver Improvement course (ADI). This is a 12-hour class and can be taken online. Contact the nearest DMV Bureau of Administrative Reviews for your hearing.

4. Michael J Silveira

Pro

Answered . Of course, bring any proof of your employment status. I would recommend contacting a lawyer to assist you.