I was denied ssi do I have to pay any back child support

Asked 5 months ago - Pawtucket, RI

I've been fighting for ssdi for years I've been denied obtained a lawyer and still fighting it my question if it all is futile and I have to get unemployment after able to control my condition with meds and counseling will I have to pay back child support I have been brought to court but because of pending ssdi it got dismissed till later review no actual amount or child support has ever been set in place yet

1. James Joseph Bagley

Answered . Child support is subject to modification retroactive to the original date of filing. If the original claim was dismissed outright you may have cause to contest any backdating. It it was not dismissed, just postponed for review then you may be on the hook for retroactive support. You may want to consider consulting with a lawyer.

2. Neville Joseph Bedford

Answered . You may still be obliged to pay support obligation for your child despite being denied federal disability benefits. Speak with a family court attorney and convince them that you are willing to pay a reasonable fee for services so that you will not be "denied obtaining a lawyer" again.