Skip to main content

I was denied Social Security Disability and appealed that decision but haven't heard anything and don't know what to do...

Fresno, CA |

I applied for Social Security Disability because I was in an auto accident and have chronic pain, weakness and numbness in my upper back, neck, shoulders, arms and hands. I had medical records that I submitted to them but they wanted further tests, because they believed that I could do my job. Unfortunately, I had lost my job and lost my health insurance and was unable to afford the tests (nerve conduction study & others) to prove the severity of my situation. I appealed their well over a year ago and have not heard anything else from them. Is there anything that I can do to have them re-look at my claim or pay for the medical tests (I do not qualify for any medical program) that would show them that I do have a disability? I am still unemployed and cannot afford legal aid.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Most attorneys will give you a free consultation and will agree not to charge a fee unless they take your case and win. Don't worry about being unemployed. Every disabled person is.

Check with and find a qualified lawyer (beware those who claim they are "advocates"--it's not the same) nearby.

Good luck.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


I am sorry to hear of your accident. You did the right thing to appeal your initial denial. Getting a response can take quite some time and result in yet another denial. Should that happen, don't be afraid to request a hearing before an administrative law judge. With the assistance of an SSD attorney, many claimants are successful at this 3rd stage.

Theodore Huang, Esq. 626.244.7357. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is established.


If you filed an appeal of your application denial over a year ago, you should have received a response from SSA long ago. You should try to call your local SSA field office, or try the SSA 800 number (800)772-1213. If you can't get through, go to the SSA office where you filed your application to determine the status of your claim/appeal. Also, you should contact an attorney in your area who specializes in Social Security disability matters.

This answer contains general information only and is not legal advice. Use of the internet to contact our firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please consult an attorney regarding the facts of your individual case. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time that an attorney-client relationship has been established.


In my experience the time it takes for SS to respons can be a little or a lot. My only suggestion is to contact SS at 1-800-772-1213 to make sure that they have your application and is still currently pending. Unfortunately there is no one to call for a status update. The process itself can be very impersonal at times. Best of luck to you.

This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer