Skip to main content

I was denied citizenship. what should i do?

Bakersfield, CA |

I have been living here in the U.S since 1997.I have acquired my Greencard in 2001.. ever since 2008 I go back and fourth to the Philippines to try and finish my studies there..but i never surpassed more than 6 months of stay in the Philippines until 2011..I stayed exactly 6 months in the Philippines because it was so hard to get a plane ticket back to u.s..I filed for citizenship on August 26. did my interview on December 14..I waited for so long to get my oath taking ceremony done and finally get my blue passport, but i received a letter saying i was denied because i lacked days ( 2 months to be exact)..I filed for citizenship on august but i should've filed on November. I miscalculated the days..My morale just went to an all time low..

I can file for an appeal but if i have no ground, i fear that it will be another waste of money and time..What can i do? do i file for a new application? please help me, for i am in deep depression in what happened..I thought my New Year will start out great but unfortunately this event led me to depression. and i feel as though ill just give up all together getting my citizenship and just go back to the Philippines.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. No offense but I will recommend what you should have done ... and it's not too late.

    Make a list of every day in/out of the US since 1997 and meet with an attorney.

    It will cost money, but you can do things the 'right way' now.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. I agree with Atty Capriotti.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. Your best bet is probably refilling brand new. Do not worry or panic too much about it, just start with a brand new application, and if possible, have an immigration attorney handle it.

    Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics