I was denied a B2 visa this month but was wondering if my circumstances changed enough to apply for an F1 Visa.

Riverside, CA |

My original plan was the travel and visit friends. However, my director is strongely encouraging me to study in the States and will grant me a leave of absence for 4 months on the condition that I take English classes at a SEVP approved institute. I will also be able to renegotiate my contract as soon as I provide proof of course completion. I am planning on applying to the University of California, Riverside's ESL program. I am an English teacher at a large private institute and have been working there for about a year. I was also able to find a sponsor in the States who will support me during my stay. I will have letters of support from both my employer and my sponsor. Should I apply for the F1 visa?

1. You didn't tell us why your B-2 application was denied.

Sure, you can go ahead and 'try' to get an F ... but, you need to address the reason for their denial of the B.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

2. Why was your B2 denied, and what "circumstances" have changed? You can apply, but it may be best to resolve the B2 denial issue first.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

3. If B-2 was denied due to strong ties to home country issue, F-1 is likely to get denied for the same reason unless there has been a change in circumstance since.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Education law topics