I was demoted and then expected to continue doing the responsibilities of the previous position. Is that legal?

Bakersfield, CA |

Previously I was already performing the job they demoted me to as well as my promotion job.

1. Generally speaking, it is legal unless you have an employment contract which makes certain guarantees, or unless the employer engages in unlawful discrimination. Otherwise, the employer can demote an employee but make the employee continue to do the same job.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

2. Please see the answers to your duplicate question here: http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/is-it-legal-for-an-employer-to-expect-me-to-cover--1286184.html

twitter.com/MikaSpencer *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***