I was de-arrested and served arrest warrant later on the same charge (assault on family member)

Asked almost 2 years ago - Centreville, VA

After heated fight, I hit my husband with mop stick 3 times for self-defense (my husband didn't hit me) a week ago. The police (2 officers) was called. I was arrested, but the magistrature denied my arrest for insufficient evidence. I was de-arrested, and the office told me this won't be in my record. Today I was served arrest warrant for the same charge filed by another police officer who was called a week ago. Can I be arrested twice for the same charge after I was de-arrested? Or, can I clear up this before the court date with magestrature's office?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to stay off the internet--you just admitted to domestice violence in writing..on the internet. This is an open website and the Commonwealth's Attorneys can use your own statement (admission against interest) against you.

    Get yourself a criminal defense attorney IMMEDIATELY. Stay off the internet--when you do get that attorney, tell him/her about your mistake in posting your admission. Do not attempt to 'clear this up' yourself.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice before the state and... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can be arrested again. The magistrate cannot do anything for you. Call and talk to a local defense attorney.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Daniel P. Hilf

Driving While License Suspended

Driving While License Suspended or Revoked in Michigan is a misdemeanor offense (according to MCL 257.904(3)(a)) that carries a maximum potential jail sentence of up to 93 days, and/or a... more

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now