I was convicted on a federal felony 28 years ago, drug charges, nothing violent. How do I go about getting my rights restored

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dacula, GA

or check to see if I did when I finished all my sentience and probation? I got my records from the U.S. Department of Justice and it shows a misdemeanor and the felony but doesn't show if I had my rights restored. I don't remember doing so but remember it was a requirement at the end of my one month probation. Everything that was in the sentience was satisfied. I am wanting to proceed with a presidential pardon but want to make sure my rights were restored first or get them restored. Thank you

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Federal law does not provide a means to restore your civil rights (or at least your right to possess a firearm or ammunition) after your having been convicted of a federal drug felony. You may petition the state in which you reside to restore your civil rights, and based on the age and nature of the conviction, you may be successful. Nonetheless, the federal infirmities will remain with the exception, as you mention, of your securing a presidential pardon.

    Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.

  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should sit down with a lawyer and all of your documents to see if any action needs to be taken. If the sentence stated that your rights would be restored, they probably were, but you would need to make sure before you attempted to do something such as obtaining a firearm as, if you are wrong about your rights, this could lead to problems.

    The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can federal Petition for Pardon After Completion of Sentence. You can also file a state APPLICATION FOR RESTORATION OF RIGHTS.

  4. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The best answer to your question is here:

    Claiborne H. Ferguson, Esq. is * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the National... more

Related Topics

Felony crime

A felony is a crime that is punishable by more than one year in prison. Certain especially severe felonies may be punishable by the death sentence.

Drug related crimes

Drug related crimes involve illegal use of controlled substances that are legal—like some prescription medications—or illegal—such as marijuana or heroin.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,435 answers this week

3,600 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,435 answers this week

3,600 attorneys answering