I was convicted on a federal felony 28 years ago, drug charges, nothing violent. How do I go about getting my rights restored

Asked about 1 year ago - Dacula, GA

or check to see if I did when I finished all my sentience and probation? I got my records from the U.S. Department of Justice and it shows a misdemeanor and the felony but doesn't show if I had my rights restored. I don't remember doing so but remember it was a requirement at the end of my one month probation. Everything that was in the sentience was satisfied. I am wanting to proceed with a presidential pardon but want to make sure my rights were restored first or get them restored. Thank you

1. Joshua Sabert Lowther

Pro

3

1

Answered . Federal law does not provide a means to restore your civil rights (or at least your right to possess a firearm or ammunition) after your having been convicted of a federal drug felony. You may petition the state in which you reside to restore your civil rights, and based on the age and nature of the conviction, you may be successful. Nonetheless, the federal infirmities will remain with the exception, as you mention, of your securing a presidential pardon.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
    NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
    jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
    http://www.NationalFederalDefense.com
    866.380.1782

2. Robert M. Gardner Jr.

2

Answered . You should sit down with a lawyer and all of your documents to see if any action needs to be taken. If the sentence stated that your rights would be restored, they probably were, but you would need to make sure before you attempted to do something such as obtaining a firearm as, if you are wrong about your rights, this could lead to problems.

3. Steven Paul Berne

1

Answered . You can federal Petition for Pardon After Completion of Sentence. You can also file a state APPLICATION FOR RESTORATION OF RIGHTS.

4. Claiborne Hambrick Ferguson

Pro

2

Answered . The best answer to your question is here:
    http://www.alanellis.com/CM/Publications/federa...